Emergency Chart Plotter (runs from 5 volts)
A possibly unique compact 5 inch GPS chart plotter for emergency use to keep in your emergency ‘grab bag’ for the life raft. Includes 12/24 volt to 5 volt power unit or power from a phone bank .
1 in stock (can be backordered)
What's special about this model?
A special, possibly unique chart plotter – uses 5 volt supply and can run from a telephone type power bank. This plotter isn’t suitable as a main navigation plotter – it is intended for emergency situations where all other electronics have been lost or for a life raft.
Note images of power bank for illustration purposes – they don’t come with the KP-38s)
Runs on just 5 volts : only 460ma maximum current (260ma in sleep mode) In terms of watts that’s just 2.3 and 1.3 Watts respectively
Sleep mode: to conserve power, the display will go to a sleep mode after 30 seconds if no button presses occur. Instant wake up if any button is pressed.
5″ GPS chart plotter with power bank supply capability – this could be your life saver in the event of a lightning strike that leaves you without any GPS/Navigation aids. The plotter can run for 14 hours from a 20,000ma power bank. Add to your kit a solar charger and you have the means to navigate safely from anywhere in the world for as long as it takes. If you use this plotter as an emergency back up in the event of a lightning strike – you should keep it stored in a protective metal box or wrapped in metal foil (*Faraday cage).
We include a 12/24 volt to 5 volt USB supply – use it to run the plotter from 12 or 24 volts or/and to charge a power bank
*Faraday Cage – A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure used to block electromagnetic fields. A Faraday shield may be formed by a continuous covering of conductive material, or in the case of a Faraday cage, by a mesh of such materials. Faraday cages are named after scientist Michael Faraday, who invented them in 1836.
Power Bank Operation
- 14 hours with a 20,000MA power bank with max LCD brightness
- Size: 169mm(H)X198.1mm(W)X77mm(D)
- Weight: 0.6 kg
- Display: 5-inch Colour TFT day view LCD, 800×480 pixels
- Waterproofing: Display unit: IP66: Antenna unit: IP66
- Temperature range: Display unit: -15℃ to +55℃: Antenna unit: -25℃ to +70℃
- Only 460 m/a consumption when screen at max brightness – 240 m/a when in sleep mode
- 5″ coloured LCD display
- Power bank supply capability
- Use a solar charging power bank and can run indefinitely.
- Save mode feature for ultra low power consumption
- Perfect as a very low power back up chart plotter/GPS in the event of total power failure on your boat – this could be your ‘get out of jail card’ after a lightning strike that wipes out all of your electronics.
- Professional vessel
- Aircraft ditching in sea
- GPS Patch Antenna (with 4m cable SMA connector)
- Operator manual
- Installation materials and standard spare parts
- Power cable (this is a 3 pin connector to KP38S supply input terminated to a standard USB line socket) USB can be directly connected to a standard phone charger, Power Bank unit or to the 12/24 volt power unit listed below.
- 12/24 volt in to USB 5 volt out power unit
Please note that KP-38S does not have a data sharing function. (no NMEA0183 transfer – this is for power saving reasons) and that the display will go to ‘sleep’ mode if no buttons pressed for 30 seconds.